Princeton Academy of the Sacred Heart in Princeton, New Jersey is an all-boys independent Sacred Heart school for grades K-8. We are currently seeking a full-time Lower School (K-Grade 4) Spanish Educator for the 2023–2024 school year. This teaching position requires the flexibility to also teach a grade-level section of middle school.
Rooted in the more than 200-year tradition of the Society of the Sacred Heart, the mission of Princeton Academy is to develop young men with active and creative minds, a sense of understanding and compassion for others, and the courage to act on their beliefs. Princeton Academy has established itself as an outstanding school for boys that educates the whole child: intellectually, spiritually, morally, socially, emotionally, and physically. Princeton Academy seeks candidates who believe in the mission of the school.
Our Spanish program presents an integrated skills approach to learning Spanish, where listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills are developed. The primary objective of the program is to offer students an opportunity to acquire communication skills while developing an awareness and appreciation of Hispanic culture. Our student-centered, proficiency-oriented program seeks to inspire our learners through continuous comprehensible input and engaging teaching.
Clear and effective communication with families is necessary and a good sense of humor, a positive outlook, and an appreciation of the unique qualities of the age group are essential. Candidates must show a strong willingness to receive feedback regularly, grow professionally, significantly contribute to the life of the school, and be eager to work in a culturally and ethnically diverse school community that is committed to social justice, equity, and inclusion. Additionally, there will be an inspiring opportunity to fulfill the mission and advance the vision of Princeton Academy, enriching the curriculum of the school to reflect its beautiful diversity within the promise of this space.
Interested candidates should have teaching experience with a background in Spanish. A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Spanish. A master's degree is preferred. A strong belief in the mission and vision of Princeton Academy, the Sacred Heart Goals and Criteria and Princeton Academy’s Learning Principles for Boys is essential. The position requires clear collaboration and communication with the lower and middle school teaching teams, which include educators of English, math, social studies, science, religion, information technology, visual art, music, physical education, health and wellness and others. A background in lesson planning and unit mapping that delivers a clear scope and sequence is necessary. In addition to homeroom responsibilities and divisional duties, there are additional opportunities for leadership and engagement based upon the candidate’s interests and skills.
This position requires:
- A joyful and inspirational approach to teaching and learning, along with an articulated desire to work with boys in Kindergarten through Grade 8
- A desire to inspire students and ignite a sense of wonder in all learners, balancing challenge with support while bringing out the best in students with every opportunity
- Creativity in curriculum development that will provide opportunities for students to use their Spanish skills in real-world settings that are diverse and global
- Presenting well-planned lessons with appropriate work in and outside of the classroom with a focus on the integration of subject areas, problem-solving, and creativity
- Teacher duties can range from Kindergarten to Grade 8
- Integration of technology and a variety of mediums into classroom lessons
- Maintenance of an organized, pleasant, and inviting environment that supports excellence in teaching and learning
- Leadership of the school community in a variety of forums aimed at showcasing and highlighting Spanish at Princeton Academy throughout the school year
- Coaching experience and the ability to lead co-curricular activities are preferred
- Reflective nature; the ideal candidate is one who is able to identify their strengths and areas of growth and is committed to continuous growth and improvement
- Social awareness; the ideal candidate is one who has a global perspective and an understanding of justice, equity, and inclusion
- Child-centered; the ideal candidate is one who will engage our students’ hearts, minds, and spirits
- An effective communicator; the ideal candidate is one who communicates clearly and professionally through oral and written communication
- Collaborative and flexible; the ideal candidate is approachable and allows their talents and skills to be accessible to members of the community
Interested candidates are asked to submit:
- A letter of interest
- A current resume
- A statement of educational philosophy
- List of references
- Please submit materials electronically via email attachment to Dean of Faculty Zaneta Chambers at email@example.com. Princeton Academy will acknowledge receipt and contact you. Princeton Academy of the Sacred Heart provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Princeton Academy of the Sacred Heart complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.