Special Education Teacher ($3,000 Signing Bonus)
Nature and Scope of Job: Under the supervision of the Director of Student Support and Special Education, the Special Education Teacher will support teachers and work with students with Individual Education Plans (IEPs). The teacher will create, manage, and participate in a variety of learning environments and activities that enhance student development and mastery of learning objectives. Philip’s teachers participate in extensive professional development, collaborate with other faculty and staff, promote rigorous learning opportunities, and look out for the collective and individual interests of Philip’s students as well as the schools’ greater community.
- To provide an approved Elementary and Middle School education program and establish a class environment that fosters learning and personal growth;
- To help pupils develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for continued education; and
- To maintain good relationships with parents and other staff members.
1. Assist teachers to develop research-based, instructional practices that support the development of student’s on Individual Education Plans (IEPs), specifically in early literacy and mathematical background knowledge and concept development.
2. Provide direct service to students on IEPs, including inclusion and pull-out supports.
3. Collaborate with general education teachers to monitor, evaluate, and document student progress.
4. Create and implement accommodations and modifications as specified in students’ IEPs.
5. Write annual IEPs, including student goals and objectives.
6. Collect student data and track progress towards students’ individualized goals.
7. Meet with teachers and parents both formally and informally, to communicate student progress.
8. Attend grade level meetings.
9. Support during other times of the day, including but not limited to teaching a co-curricular and providing supervision during recess, lunch, and hallway.
10. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice from the Principal.
- Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations and board policy.
- Performs other duties not limited but including lunch duties, recess duties, and others within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.
● Valid New Jersey Instructional Certificate and appropriate Special Education Endorsement or eligibility
● Demonstrated knowledge of effective teaching methods and developmentally appropriate classroom activities
● Ability to maintain a positive learning environment
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills
● Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
● Current residency in New Jersey approved residency waiver or candidate agrees to obtain residency within one year of employment
● 1-2 years of teaching experience preferred.
● Commitment to ensuring academic success for all students.
● Shared dedication to Philip’s Academy’s philosophy and mission.
● Excellent teamwork, work ethic, and organizational skills.
● Communicate effectively in English, both orally and verbally. Bilingual is a plus.
● Possess excellent integrity, a gentle spirit, and demonstrate strong moral character and initiative.
● Demonstrate technological abilities: word processing, data management, and informational retrieval.
● Maintain ongoing professional development.
● Be CPR, First Aid, and Blood Borne Pathogen certified or obtain certification upon hire.
● Complete a Tuberculosis test and physical and provide a physician’s documentation of both.
● Be able to kneel, bend, squat, lift, push, pull, and carry students up to 70lbs.
● Have dependable transportation.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Work year and salary to be determined by the board.
Philip’s Academy Charter Schools provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Philip's Academy Charter School