Part-Time Security Officer
Nature and Scope of Job: Position is responsible for maintaining order and discipline, preventing crime, investigating student violations of school board policies, and detaining students violating the law or school board policies on school property or at school-sponsored events and is responsible solely for ensuring the safety, security, and welfare of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors in the assigned school. Position assists the administrative staff with enforcing policies and procedures for safe and orderly schools at the building level. Position rotates duties among several schools
throughout each day and week traveling via personal or division-owned vehicle.
1. Patrols and monitors assigned areas of the school buildings, grounds and parking lots to deter,
1. detect, report and stop violations of the law and/or school board policies.
2. Detects, investigates and reports unauthorized or suspicious persons, vehicles and activities.
3. Assists administrators and staff in crisis and emergency situations.
4. Supervises and directs pupil movement.
5. Notifies the administrative staff, police, fire department, or other appropriate authorities of
6. security or emergency situations.
7. Operates metal detectors and conducts searches when directed to do so.
8. Investigates student violations of school board policies and prepare reports of the results.
9. Works with school administrators and law enforcement officials in handling serious student
offenses and law violations.
10. Testifies in court and at School Board Disciplinary Review Committee hearings as required.
11. Assists with fire drills and other emergency building evacuations.
12. Supervises classroom behavior in lieu of faculty.
13. Maintains security records, logs and reports.
14. Attends and successfully completes all staff development training as required by state law or
directed by the Security Department.
15. Abides by Security Department guidelines, directives and post orders.
16. Reads and responds to email communications.
17. Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
18. Operates a vehicle equipped with a manual or automatic transmission to drive safely in all traffic conditions.
- Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations and board policy.
- Performs other duties not limited but including lunch duties, recess duties, and others within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.
- Must possess a high school diploma (or equivalency) with some experience or training in a security related field or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the noted knowledge, skills, and abilities. Must possess knowledge of, and the ability to apply, standard security procedures and best practices.
- Must possess the ability to acquire knowledge of School Board policies and procedures and Student Rights and Responsibilities.
- Security experience in a public-school setting preferred.
- Must possess the ability to read, write, speak and understand standard English.
- Must have basic computer skills using Microsoft Office programs.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must have the ability to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, key a two-way radio microphone, operate a keyboard, and use a lock and key; hear and understand speech at normal levels; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly; articulate information in an emergency situation; use physical agility and strength to defend self and detain persons using force if necessary; and have the visual acuity necessary to observe and comprehend student movement.
- Ability to maintain a positive learning environment
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
- Current residency in New Jersey approved residency waiver or candidate agrees to obtain residency within one year of employment
- Commitment to ensuring academic success for all students.
- Shared dedication to Philip’s Academy’s philosophy and mission.
- Excellent teamwork, work ethic, and organizational skills.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and verbally. Bilingual is a plus.
- Possess excellent integrity, a gentle spirit, and demonstrate strong moral character and initiative.
- Demonstrate technological abilities: word processing, data management, and informational retrieval.
- Maintain ongoing professional development.
- Be CPR, First Aid, and Blood Borne Pathogen certified or obtain certification upon hire.
- Complete a Tuberculosis test and physical and provide a physician’s documentation of both.
- Be able to kneel, bend, squat, lift, push, pull, and carry students up to 70lbs.
- Have dependable transportation.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Work year and salary to be determined by the board.
Annual evaluation: The performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with New Jersey State law and the provisions of the board’s policy on the evaluation of certified staff.
Philip’s Academy Charter Schools provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Philip's Academy Charter School