Special Education Teacher
Instruction and student Contact
- Provides instruction to classified students in accordance with each student’s individualized education program.
- Works cooperatively with regular education teaching staff to coordinate instructional activities and to monitor the progress of each student and provides support instruction in the regular classroom or resource center as assigned.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a classroom climate conducive to learning.
- Maintains records of educational progress in class record books and/or board approved forms and summarizes these marks for reporting purposes.
Develops Lesson Plans and Classroom Learning Activities
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction to meet the needs of each student.
- Sets specific objectives wherever possible in lesson preparation and weekly lesson plans and carries through presentation to effectively achieve these objectives.
- Consults with members of the child study team regarding each student's educational program, academic program and personal growth.
- Meets at least once annually with the case manager, parents and other professional staff to review and revise the individualized education program and placement of each assigned student.
Contact with Parents and Community
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to inform them about the school program and to discuss student progress.
- Makes effective use of community resources to enhance the instructional program
Planning and Coordination
- Participates in the development of the charter school's plan for special education.
- Participates in school-level planning, faculty meetings/committees and other school system groups.
Professional Contacts and Other Activities
- Maintains professional competence and continuous improvement through in-service education and other professional growth activities.
- The special education supervisor supervises and provides guidance, mentoring to other special eduction teachers.
- Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations, and board policy.
- Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment as may be assigned.
Education level: BA or MA or higher
Certifications and licenses as required to meet job obligations as required by the State of New Jersey and / or the U.S.
The Ethical Community Charter School is a K-8 Public Charter School located in Jersey City, NJ. Students are selected by public lottery.
The Ethical Community Charter School is a safe and caring community where ethics, service, and social justice are the principles that inform every aspect of school life; where teachers lead and collaborate with students in a culture of rigorous academics and mutual respect; where analytical thinking and creativity are prized over rote learning; where children become individuals of integrity, insight, autonomy-and socially productive citizens, workers, leaders.
Board Approved Date: May 15, 2020
Your application has been successfully submitted.