Career Development

Guide for Transferring Your Teaching Credentials From Another Country to the U.S.

Have you gotten your teacher education in another country? If you have but want to teach in New Jersey, United States, then no worries! It is possible to switch your teaching certificate from another country to work in the United States. If you are looking to transfer your out-of-country teaching credentials to the United States, keep reading for more information. 

Foreign Transcript Evaluation 

The first step in getting a New Jersey teaching certification is obtaining a foreign transcript evaluation. The state of New Jersey cannot complete this process themselves, so this is something that would need to be done separately. During the foreign transcript evaluation process, your credentials will be reviewed to see if they are equivalent to the required certification of New Jersey. A credential evaluation service must be used to determine if the studies conducted in other countries are comparable to the education in the United States. By searching the yellow pages or the internet, applicants can locate credential evaluation services. You could also use World Education Services. World Education Services is a popular agency that assesses academic credentials from over 48,000 institutions in 203 countries and territories worldwide.

Which Evaluations do you need to teach in New Jersey? 

 It is important to request specific evaluations when you go through a credential evaluation agency. It is also essential to consider the price of these services. Each agency varies in prices and what is covered in a credential evaluation. Carefully choose your agencies to make sure that you are evaluating the required credits. Requesting the equivalent of a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four-year college program is necessary to get started. To qualify for teacher certification, you must have a cumulative baccalaureate grade point average. Additionally, you will need to know the semester-hour equivalent for each area of study at the college level. A two-part evaluation with a list of each course is also necessary. 

General Requirements

Outside of state requirements, there are other requirements that teachers certified in other countries need in order to teach in the United States. A J-1 Visa will allow a teacher to participate in a temporary cultural exchange program. To qualify for the J-1 Visa, you must hold a valid teaching license from your home country with at least three years of experience teaching. This does not guarantee that your teaching credentials will transfer, but it is the first step to teaching in the United States. 

Need Extra Help Transferring Your Credits? 

Transferring your out-of-country teaching credentials to the United States can be a complicated and confusing process. It may seem like the requirements are piling up, and it is challenging to keep everything organized. A program can help you transfer your teaching credentials to the United States. USA Employment helps you through the entire process to ensure that the required credential transfers happen and that you are allowed to teach in the United States. 

If you have earned a teaching credential in another country, it is possible to transfer that to the United States. Remember to do a lot of research and allow for plenty of time for the transcript evaluation process. 

K12jobsNJ advertises education jobs in New Jersey. Create a free account to see what's available. Check out the career advice section for tips on improving your resume, cover letter, or interview skills. Sign up now to receive new job alerts by text message.